Over the years I have been told many times, "you need to write a book". Well, I don't know that I will ever feel called to write a book or have the time, so this may be the closest thing to it.

I am a little silly, a bit out spoken and 100% sold out for God! I could not have ever walked the path I have without my friends and family and most of all my God! Through this blog my greatest desire it that it shows the love of a savior and the amazing grace and mercy he has shown through my life!

Friday, October 28, 2011

Trusting in God's Plan

Trust God from the bottom of your heart;
   don't try to figure out everything on your own.
Listen for God's voice in everything you do, everywhere you go;
   he's the one who will keep you on track.
Don't assume that you know it all. 
~Proverbs 3:5
(the Message)
This has always been one of my favorite scriptures, yet if I am honest it is always been a struggle for me.  Trusting God is not always easy for me.  For anyone that knows me well, I am sure that this is hard to believe but I can be quite the control freak at times, LOL!  The bad part of being a bit controlling mixed with a little type A personality, is that I spend a lot of time trying to work out my plan and forget to let go a little and trust God to work out his.

In December of 2010 when I graduated I was sure of the path the future held for me.  I was going to sit tight for a while, enjoy my family and a little time off from the craziness my life had become then come Spring I would start applying for a teaching job.  I was even pretty confident which district and where I was going to end up.  Even thought the job market was not great I knew God had promised I would be working come Fall.  I began applying, praying and knew God had a plan for me.  The Bible promises it and He has proven it to me time and time again.  As Summer started to come to an end I still did not have that teaching job I thought I would have.  As I sent my kids back to school with only a substitute position lined up, I began to wonder if I had really heard the voice of God.  

The first Wednesday in September I went to church and spent an amazing night crying, praying, crying some more and ultimately finally giving the entire situation over to God, fully trusting His plans are higher than my plans (Isaiah 55:8). The very next day while subbing I got an email to contact a principal at a school I had interviewed with over the summer.  After getting in touch for him, he asked if I was willing to come in and talk with him about a job opportunity.  A week or so earlier he had contacted me about a job I ultimately did not pursue because I didn't feel I was at all qualified for.  The very next day I sat down and spoke with the principal and ultimately was offered that very same job that a week ago I decided wasn't for me.  Here I was taking a job, I did not apply for, and did not feel qualified for, but was sure was exactly what God had for me.  

I have now been working as the Title I/Reading Teacher for about six weeks.  This week the job 6 months I would have told you was my dream job became available.  Six months ago I would have been excited because this was right where I wanted to be.  Was that my reaction? NO!  I didn't have any of those reactions.  I for a split second thought about applying, then I realized I wasn't excited about it.  If I got that job, I already know I love the school, the grade, and the teachers that I would be teaching with, and I'd have my own classroom.  The thing is I already have all that right where I am: I love my job, I love the school I am at, I love the staff and I love the kids.  Am I doing what I thought I would? NO!  Am I anywhere near where I thought I would be? NO!  Is this what I had planned for myself? NO!  Am I happy? ABSOLUTELY! Am I teaching my own class like I thought? No, but I will someday!  Am I right where God wants me? Without a doubt! 

Sometimes the path we had laid out for ourselves, is not the path God has in store for us.  And, sometimes it isn't until we look back from the place God has brought us to to what we thought we wanted, that we can see clearly just how perfect that place is!  All we have to do is walk in faith, knowing that where God's path takes is far beyond anything we can imagine. 

"I know what I'm doing. I have it all planned out—plans to take care of you, not abandon you, plans to give you the future you hope for."
~Jeremiah 29:11
(the Message)

"In their hearts humans plan their course,
   but the LORD establishes their steps."
~Proverbs 16:9
(NIV)

2 comments:

  1. He is so faithful and true! In the midst of trying to figure it out on our own, we think He is silent, but He is really just laying foundation. :) Oh how I love Jesus!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love your heart & your transparency! God is so faithful. It seems that when we stop fighting the situation, but keep trusting Him...that we start to see our situations change. I believe what He has for you is more than you can imagine, or make plans for. Eph 3:20

    ReplyDelete