Over the years I have been told many times, "you need to write a book". Well, I don't know that I will ever feel called to write a book or have the time, so this may be the closest thing to it.

I am a little silly, a bit out spoken and 100% sold out for God! I could not have ever walked the path I have without my friends and family and most of all my God! Through this blog my greatest desire it that it shows the love of a savior and the amazing grace and mercy he has shown through my life!

Tuesday, August 18, 2020

Will God Really not Give You More Than You Can Handle?



 “Behold I am with you and will keep you wherever you go, For I will not leave you until I have done what I have promised.”

~ Genesis 28:15

Life is hard, there is no way around it.   Sometimes is feels like wave after wave of fear, loss, confusion, and destruction keep knocking you off your feet.  When you feel like you cannot keep your head above water, it often feels like it is even hard to breathe. 

I am sure you have heard good meaning people, who are trying to be encouraging tell you, “God doesn’t give you more that you can handle.”  Let’s be real, in the midst of the pain and anger, that is not reassuring.   I would also contest that this saying is not accurate anyway. 

When the fight feels to hard, I believe Jesus is there whispering to us, “if the fight is too big for you, it’s not your battle to fight.”  All throughout the Bible God is constantly fighting battles on behalf of his people.

“The Lord God will fight for you, and you only have to be silent”

~Exodus 14:14

“For the Lord your God is He who goes with you to fight for you against your enemies, to give you the victory.”

~Deuteronomy 20:4

I 100% think we are to partner with God and do our part when we face battles.   We are to pray, pray and pray some more.  Sometimes we have practical things that we need to do.  But then there are battles that seem to big to fight.  What if in those times when we can no longer seem to catch our breath, we surrendered the fight and trusted that God will make a way?  All God is asking is that we invite Him in and allow Him to fight for us.  To lift up our hand and hearts in holy surrender to the One who can and will see victory.

The idea that God only gives us what we can handle implies that we are to handle all things that life throws at us.  And I do not believe that is true.  God wants us to turn to Him.   He wants us to give the big things to Him.  He wants us to let go of the control we try so hard to hold onto and allow Him to carry the weight and the burden of the heavy stuff.  And maybe even sometimes the small too.  There are so many verses in the Bible where God says to us that the battle is not for us to fight alone.

"Have I not commanded you? Be strong and courageous. Do not be afraid; do not be discouraged, for the LORD your God will be with you wherever you go." 

~Joshua. 1:9

"The thief comes only to steal and kill and destroy. I came that they may have life and have it abundantly." 

~John 10:10

"One of your men puts to flight a thousand, for the LORD your God is He who fights for you, just as He promised you." 

~Joshua 23:10

Taking that step of surrender often means putting aside pride.  Pride that says I can handle this on my own.  And instead we gave up control and said, “Lord, I simply cannot do this on my own.”  This is exactly the place where He will step in and whisper in our ear, “my child, I can.”  The waves may knock us down, but the don’t knock Him down.  He made us to need Him, and it is in our weakness that he is strong.  It is in our weakness that He will see us through. 

“Your Protector, Deliverer, and Redeemer is watching over you.  He is there when you wake, with you as you walk and work.  He weeps with you when your heart is breaking; He sings over you when you are at a loss for words; He sits with you in the stillness.” (Blessed, Broken, Given by Glenn Packiam)

If you allow Him, God will take al those things that are too Big for you to handle and He will step in and walk along side you, carry you and fight for you.  All you have to do is lay aside control and pride and lay your burdens at the feet of Jesus.

He caused the storm to be still, So that the waves of the sea were hushed.

~Psalm 107:29

What in your life is calling for you to surrender to the one who can cause the storm to be still and hush the waves?


No comments:

Post a Comment