Over the years I have been told many times, "you need to write a book". Well, I don't know that I will ever feel called to write a book or have the time, so this may be the closest thing to it.

I am a little silly, a bit out spoken and 100% sold out for God! I could not have ever walked the path I have without my friends and family and most of all my God! Through this blog my greatest desire it that it shows the love of a savior and the amazing grace and mercy he has shown through my life!

Saturday, March 30, 2013

Do we truly tolerate the opposing opinion?

-->
I am a bit all over the place right now in my thoughts, but really felt it was time for me to post again.  I have spent a good bit of time thinking about what is going on in the US right now and what I think and where I stand on it.  I see people all over standing up for what they believe when it comes to homosexual rights, and yet in so many cases I see Christian’s who don’t agree but are afraid to speak up for what they believe.  Is it because they don’t feel strongly about their beliefs?  No, I don’t think for one minute that is why they seem silent. 

 I honestly feel like as a Christian who supports conservative, Biblical beliefs that when I stand up and voice my opinion I am in jeopardy of being called intolerant, a hater, and various other things.  It seems to me that all the people who preach tolerance and free speech only mean that if what you say is in line with what they believe.  With every fiber of my being I believe that Jesus has an opinion about this issue.  I believe that he has very strong opinions and if he walked the face of the Earth today he would be extremely troubled by what he would see.  I think it would make him sad that people who profess to be his followers are buying into the lie that the world is feeding.

It also makes me sad to see the Word of God twisted into something it is not.  Just like any other book or historical account one cannot start taking things out of context.  Yes, there are plenty of things in the Bible that we are Christian’s no longer abide by.  But this Easter is the perfect time to point out that many things in the Old Testament are no longer necessary thanks to the redemptive blood of Jesus Christ being shed for all of us.  When Jesus died on the cross, He put an end to the Old Testament law (Romans 10:4; Galatians 3:23-25; Ephesians 2:15).  The Old Testament law was never intended by God to be the universal law for all people for all of time. We are to love God and love our neighbors. If we obey those two commands faithfully, we will be upholding all that God requires of us.  Many of the commands in the Old Testament law fall into the categories of “loving God” and “loving your neighbor.” The Old Testament law can be a good guidepost for knowing how to love God and knowing what goes into loving your neighbor. At the same time, to say that the Old Testament law applies to Christians today is incorrect. The Old Testament law is a unit (James 2:10). Either all of it applies, or none of it applies. If Christ fulfilled some of it, such as the sacrificial system, He fulfilled all of it.

As a Christian I will not support the idea of same sex marriage.  I choose not to engage in any arguments, because in the end, I have no authority over anyone else’s choices and I will not judge.   But I do know someone who has authority and WILL judge for all of our actions and words spoken aloud and in silence.  I will continue to love others, regardless of the path they choose or the views they hold.  Jesus called me to be salt and light unto the world and if I choose to be argumentative and alienate people just because they don’t hold the same beliefs as I do then I will never have the chance to make a difference in their lives for eternity.  If I choose not to engage in conversation about controversial issues or sit back and remain quiet about my beliefs than I am living my life scared.  I do however pray that no matter where you stand on this issue of any other controversial issue that you would pay me the same respect you ask of everyone else… Be tolerant of my views…. Be accepting of my beliefs and Be respectful in my right to disagree with yours!

Additional information found at www.gotquestions.org

No comments:

Post a Comment