Over the years I have been told many times, "you need to write a book". Well, I don't know that I will ever feel called to write a book or have the time, so this may be the closest thing to it.

I am a little silly, a bit out spoken and 100% sold out for God! I could not have ever walked the path I have without my friends and family and most of all my God! Through this blog my greatest desire it that it shows the love of a savior and the amazing grace and mercy he has shown through my life!

Friday, August 2, 2013

Brought to Our Knees


 
            There are points in our lives that if we are not careful we can allow the business of life and our own selfishness to creep in the cracks.  The problem with this is that just as colder weather turns water to ice, if allowed selfishness, bitterness or anything else to creep into the little cracks, they are likely begin to spread those cracks even bigger if we do not search ourselves the cracks can easily turn into chasms in our lives, our relationships and our marriages.  Sometimes it's not big things that Satan uses to try to destroy us, it is the business of life and ultimately our selfish spirit that he can use to bring us to our knees. As I reflect back over my life I am sorry to say that I have let this happen too many times in my life. And this time it literally brought me to my knees!
            As I reflect of the last few years I see that Shawn and I had allowed a lot of little things to go unchecked and as a result it brought us to a turning point in our marriage.  Here is our story of the redemptive power of God.  When we seek Him he can take what we have broken and make something more beautiful than we’ve ever imagined out of it. 
            This last November, Shawn and I started a conversation questioning our relationship, what had become of it, the ways in which we live a life filled with deception in many ways.  I look back and see that much of our battles began in the fields of Iraq.  When Shawn came back he struggled.  His moods were extremely volatile and slowly but surely I began a pattern of keeping things from him.  They were not BIG things, but he could be set off by the littlest of things.  Previously I was an open book and never had trouble telling him about all the little parts of life, but so I found myself not telling him things that I cold “handle” on my own or that I felt weren’t significant because I didn’t want to fight or set him off.  This became a destructive force in our marriage and over the years it just felt natural to me to close him out of the parts of my life that I thought he might get angry about or that I didn’t think he care about anyway. 
            When we moved to Colorado things did not get any better.  Shawn’s moods were hardly the issue anymore so much as the business of life.  I was in school at night and we there were many times we were like to ships passing in the night.  We tried to make time for each other but when we had time I often unintentionally kept the conversations to topics that were happy.  Who wants to spend the limited time you have with someone always talking about the conflicts in life.  After I was done with school and working full-time, then Shawn was in school.  Four years later the business of life and both our abilities to compartmentalize our lives with each other, we found ourselves often feeling like we were just roommates living together and the only part of lives we regularly shared was that of being parent to our children.  I don’t think either of us was at the point that we were considering divorce, but we definitely were not thriving in our marriage.
            That dreaded Thursday night in November brought some really hard things to light for both of us.  No matter what label we put on it and no matter how we try to make the other one “to blame” the reality was we were both responsible for where we were.  I had prayed many times over the years for things to change in our relationship.  At some point (I’m not sure when) I gave up hope and quit praying and when I look back just gave in to that was how my marriage was going to be.  My prayers turned from change me, change us, to help me to learn to live and except the way things are.  The problem is I don’t believe for one minute that God wants his children to “settle”.  The Bible says over and over that God wants the best for His children the problem is I think often times we don’t want it bad enough and we have to want it and be willing to fight for it.  The question was, “were we willing to Fight for it?”
            Friday after that dreaded conversation, I asked Shawn if was willing to go to marriage counseling?  I fully expected his answer to be NO, I had asked before and he was extremely against it.  He said yes and before he could change is mind I called to make an appointment with someone.  That Sunday we went to church and I stood next to a man who I loved, but honestly didn’t know if I would ever be able to be close to again.   We were so far from one another and had shut each other out on so many levels it was going to take a miracle to fix this!
            Well, thank God we serve a God who still does miracles!!!  That Sunday, the sermon was about Daniel.  I don’t remember the whole sermon, but I do remember what I walked away with.  Pastor posed the question that Daniel was persistent in his prayers, and what would have happened if he quit praying on day 21 and 23 hours.  If he had not persisted he would have missed God’s answer.  WOW…. immediately I began to cry as God spoke to me about how I had given up, I had quit praying, I had quit asking for change things.  That was my revelation.  That morning after church Shawn disappeared for a while after church.  When we came back in the kitchen he shared that at the end of church when he was praying and asking God how that sermon was supposed to relate to him, and how he was to apply it to his life, God only spoke the words “STEPS” to him.  When he got home he was trying to figure out what that meant and prayed a little more.  Ironically God really does see all things and know all things.  Guess how may steps there are in our house from our basement to our bedroom?  Yep, you guessed it…21!!!  Shawn explained that he was going to begin praying daily and he would like me to join him.  So that night it began…..
            Day 1 we began in the basement both literally and metaphorically.  We keened together for the first time in a really long time at the basement of our house.  We poured out our heart to each other, repented to each other of all the junk in our lives and our marriage and asked to forgiveness both from each other and from God.  After we were done, we were both numb from the waist down and not only did we pray together we were forced by our inability to move to sit and really talk for the first time in a long time.  That night while talking to each other Shawn said that he wasn’t sure where we were supposed to go with our prayers after that night, but as God already sees he was showing me while we were praying God gave me the verses from 1 Corinthians 13:4-8.  Again as God doesn’t lead any detail untouched, it just so happens that when you take each part of this verse apart you have 16 more things to pray about.  That would bring us to day 17 which was exactly 4 days away from 21 and enough days to spend one night each pray for the other, one night praying for us as a couple and the final night we planned to pray a prayer of renew to each other and to God!
Love is patient, love is kind. It does not envy, it does not boast, it is not proud. It is not rude, it is not self-seeking, it is not easily angered, it keeps no record of wrongs. Love does not delight in evil but rejoices with the truth. It always protects, always trusts, always hopes, always perseveres. 8 Love never fails.
~1 Corinthians 13:4-8
            Over the next 21 days Shawn and I spent every night in prayer together and many nights we’d find ourselves talking afterwards in a way we’d never talked before.  Those 21 days were not easy, we had to work though some tough issues.  We did go to see the marriage counselor and together we had to face some things that had been underlying issues for the majority of our marriage. 
            As deep as our problems seemed, and as much as in the beginning I felt hopeless, God never gives up on us.  I thank God for all the amazing friends we had that lifted us up in prayer and supported us while we were on this journey.  By the time we hit the top stair in front of our bedroom we both felt a new sense of love that I am sure I had not felt since early in our marriage.  Through persistence, and God’s amazing love we were able to experience a miracle in our marriage. 
            At Christmas things were so different between us it was hard to imagine that only a month prior we hardly wanted to be the same room together.  Shawn gave me a print of 1 Corinthians 13:4-8 for Christmas and it is a reminder to me of the love we share, the commitment we made to one another, and the 21 days that changed our life.       
            We have continued to spend each night in prayer and devotions.  We honestly believe that praying, spending time in in God’s word and making time to talk, I mean really talk to your spouse is the glue that holds it all together.  The way in which this has changed my life, and our marriage is nothing short of a miracle.  I don’t think we could ever have really fixed what was wrong with our marriage or ourselves without letting God do a work in us.  People spend their whole lives working to be better, but there is a better way.  Seek God, let Him carry your burdens, let him change your heart to be more like His and the things you struggle with will not be so hard to handle any more.

No comments:

Post a Comment