Miracles
in the Messes
Life is messy, there is no doubt about that. June 13, 1992 Shawn and I stood in front of
God and all of our friends and family and promised to stand by one another in
good times and in bad. We promised to
one another that divorce was never an option.
Well, over the last 25 years, we have seen more than our share of good
times, and encountered some difficulty along the way. Some messes were out of our hands, and some
messes we created on our own.
This August Shawn and I faced one of the most difficult
times we have ever faced as a couple.
The details of how we got there are not important, but the reality was
were not living together as husband and wife; although living under the same
roof we were not even sleeping on the same floor of the house.
At the beginning I was so consumed with what was going
on, and what was going to happen. I kept
asking a friend, what if we don’t make it.
A very good and Godly friend asked me, “What if you guys don’t make it
Renee?” Although I did not realize it in
the moment, this question became a pivotal question that would set my heart to
ponder. Even if the world around me was
falling apart, did I trust God? See, I
am (was) by definition a text book control freak. I had this deep seeded need to control every
aspect of my life, that often felt as if were unraveling, from falling
apart. The best way to describe it is
that I often felt like I was carrying a load of laundry down the stairs that
was way too big to hold and constantly trying to make sure I was not dropping
socks and shirts along the way.
After MUCH prayer, crying and begging God to reveal the
Truth to me, I came to realize that for many reasons, my heart was guarded and
I had a hard time trusting. I never
fully trusted anyone, not even Shawn and not even God. I doubted every compliment, I questioned
people’s sincerity when they said nice things.
I didn’t find myself worthy of being loved and therefore I didn’t
understand why anyone else would love me either. Sometimes the deep wounds and scars that
people carry are invisible to others. I
guess I did an expert job of hiding the mental torment I sometimes
suffered. At times, I think I even
fooled myself.
I decided to start from the foundation. I cried out to God and begin to search for
all the many things His Word says about me.
One by one I studied them, wrote in my journal and prayed His Word over
my life. I began to study the many
aspects of love listed in 2 Corinthians 13:4-7
“4 Love is patient, love is
kind. It does not envy, it does not boast, it is not proud. 5 It does not dishonor others, it is not self-seeking, it is not
easily angered, it keeps no record of wrongs. 6 Love does not delight in evil but
rejoices with the truth. 7 It always protects, always trusts, always hopes, always
perseveres.”
One by one
I studied what they meant, how they related to God’s love for me and what that
meant as far as my loving Shawn and others.
As God began to heal my heart, I still felt like as it related to Shawn
and I, I was in this dark cave and could not see the light. I knew the answers were not mine, and that
God knew the end of the story, so I had to learn to trust Him, not just a
little but really trust Him. Every time
I would begin to lose hope, God would show me little miracles within the mess I
was living. By this time I had also
changed my thinking. In August I prayed
to God to help Shawn and I get back to the way things were, but that prayer
quickly changed. I did not want things
to go back to the way they were. That
was what led us to the place were. I was
not okay with that, my prayer changed to, “God help us to fall in love in a new
way. Help us to build a new relationship
that is strong, firm and steadfast. A
relationship better than anything I could even begin to imagine.”
The
beginning of October, Shawn and I decided we were going to work through things
and he moved back upstairs into our bedroom.
It was a huge step, but a baby one all at the same time. Every time I felt like we were talking steps
forward, something would happen and I would feel like we were no further ahead
than we were before. In December Shawn
had the two weeks of my break off and we had a wonderful time. By the New Year I was starting to feel like
maybe we were finally making progress.
As I would soon find out, Shawn was not in the same place I was and once
again I would feel like the carpet was being ripped from underneath me. Shawn had not been to church in over 6 months
at this point (except for Christmas Ever), and even though I would ask, he
would not come. After a talk one night I
asked him again if he would go to counseling and he agreed. I called the very next day to our church to
make an appointment. It was another one
of those miracles in the messes that God gave me.
After a few
weeks of counseling Shawn joined us at church one Saturday evening. (Another miracle in the mess). I knew it was just a step, but one I had
fervently prayed for, for months. As the
weeks progressed Shawn and I worked, (and I mean worked), through all the junk
we had ignored for so long. We learned
to communicate with one another and drop our defenses. We took time to get to know one another again
and fell back in love in a new way.
As I sit here today, we are celebrating our 25th
Anniversary. Not just monumental by
number but by what it represent to us. The
process of refining silver is interesting.
Most of the Bible
references are to the refining of silver (Proverbs 25:4 Zechariah 13:9 Isaiah 48:10). The silver used
by the ancients was probably obtained by smelting lead sulfide ore, rich in
silver. After the ore had been reduced to a metallic condition, the lead was
separated from the silver by blowing hot air over the surface of the melted
metal. The lead was thus changed to lead oxide which, in a powdered condition,
was driven away by the air blast. The resulting lead oxide, called in the Bible
silver dross, was used for glazing pottery (Proverbs 26:23), a use to which
it is still put by Syrian potters. The description of refining in Ezekiel 22:18-22 may indicate that a flux (compare "as with lye," Isaiah 1:25 the American Revised Version margin) was sometimes added to
the melted metal to dissolve the oxides of copper, lead, tin and iron as they
formed, thus leaving the silver pure. Crude processes similar to those
described above are used in the Taurus Mountains today.
Figurative:
In the various Bible references the refining of precious metals is used figuratively to illustrate the kind of trial God's children are called upon to go through. If they are of the right metal the dross will finally be blown away, leaving pure, clear, shining silver. If of base metal they will be like the dross described in Jeremiah 6:29, 30. The refiner may blow fiercely, but in vain, for nothing but lead dross appears.
Figurative:
In the various Bible references the refining of precious metals is used figuratively to illustrate the kind of trial God's children are called upon to go through. If they are of the right metal the dross will finally be blown away, leaving pure, clear, shining silver. If of base metal they will be like the dross described in Jeremiah 6:29, 30. The refiner may blow fiercely, but in vain, for nothing but lead dross appears.
As we celebrate our silver anniversary, we are strong
because of the trials we have face, this last year just being one of
several. As we come out of the refiners
fire, and all the dross is blown away, there we are shining like silver. God promises to never leave you or forsake
you and He is always faithful. I have
learned that I can trust Him and His Word 100%, 100% of the time. Thank you Father for your promises. “When you pass through the waters, I will be with
you; and when you pass through the rivers, they will not sweep over you.
When you walk through fire, you will not be burned; the flames will not set you
ablaze. For I am the LORD your God.” (Isaiah 43:2).
No comments:
Post a Comment