I wasn't looking for love. As a matter of fact, I had very clearly told God that I wasn't opening myself up to that again. If I didn't fall in love, then I could not get hurt again.
I guess God had a different plan.. See I met your dad at a time in my life when I was broken. I was focused on putting myself back together. I didn't have the energy to pour into anyone else but myself and my two kids. When your dad walked in my life he began to walk alongside me. He listened without judgment and was the friend I needed at the time. I even told your dad that if was looking for more he'd be waiting a long time (I think I said a decade) before I'd even consider that kind of relationship again.
Funny how life works. The harder I tried to scare your dad off and push him away the more closer he became to my heart. And as life goes, I wasn't just falling in love with him. See he had two pretty amazing kids that were taking their place in my heart.
His son was a quiet soul. But the more I got to know him the more I realized what an amazing young man he was. He also had this feisty, kind-hearted, gentle daughter who made such an impression on my heart. I didn't want to be their mom, they already had moms.
As time passed his daughter and I became closer and one day she asked if she could call me mom. My heart was bursting inside. I have grown to love his children as if they were my own flesh and blood. See chosen love is a special kind of love. It's not there from the start. It grows over time and one day there you are and you realize that this person has imprinted themselves on your heart.
This love is not a love that I can turn on and off. And honestly, I would never want that. No matter the circumstances, no matter the distance, these two amazing kids will be a part of my family. I found your dad and with that, I doubled my family. See in this case, one + one = five.

No comments:
Post a Comment